Falafels are a very popular “fast food” in the Middle East and are quite tasty. Traditionally they are severed as a sandwich stuffed inside pita bread, but this is our own version!
Ingredients: Serves 2
- 1 16oz can of chickpeas (garbonzo beans)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
- 2 tablespoons of flour
Toppings (you can use these ingredients or whatever veggies you have in your kitchen)
- 2 large soft tortillas
- cherry tomatoes (or any tomatoes you may have)
- 1/2 cup of onions, cut into small strips
- 1/4 cup of red, yellow, or orange pepper, cut in to small strips
- 3 Cloves of garlic, chopped
- Any kind of green, lettuce, spinach or mixed (I used a mixed spring for ours!)
- Tahini sauce (already made works just fine)
- Optional, but highly recommended: 2 sprigs of fresh dill
Step 1: Drain chickpeas, and place in pan with fresh water, and bring to a boil. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about 15 mins. Drain and allow to cool.
Step2: In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, parsley, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste). Add flour. Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste. Form the mixture into small balls. Slightly flatten. Fry in 1 inch of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
Step3: With your oil still hot throw in your all your veggie toppings.(except greens) cook them for about 3- 4 minutes. Put your lettuce or greens on your tortilla and then put your falafels on. Now its time for the toppings and some tahini sauce. Garnish with some fresh dill and a slice of lemon. ENJOY!
Get a Rare Tee!